Our property team can advise on all aspects of business tenancies for landlords or tenants.
The statutory regime concerning business tenancies is different from that applicable to residential properties hence an understanding of the requirements of the client and the obligations that may be imposed on a commercial client throughout the landlord / tenant relationship is essential to ensure correct advice and documentation.
We advise clients on what is required at the start of the relationship, on management issues that crop up during the term and finally on those relevant to termination. We undertake:
- the review of existing leases to be taken on by tenant clients or the drafting of new leases for landlord clients;
- advising on the exclusion of tenant’s rights under the Landlord & Tenant Act 1954;
- drafting lease renewals under the terms of the 1954 Act;
- mid-term issues such as licences for alterations, assignments or sub-lettings;
- changes to be evidenced by deeds of variation or replacement guarantee agreements;
- end of term issues such as dilapidations or deeds of surrender.
We work with our clients, their surveyors or managing agents to ensure that technical advice is given or documentation produced appropriate to the particular circumstances.